For most Americans the top three new year’s resolutions are to lose weight, save money and exercise. These plans usually get dropped after a few weeks. It might be easier to keep your resolutions if they are built on relationships. Relationships can be a strong motivator and they also make us feel loved and connected to others. We’ve thought of some simple ways to transform a common resolution into a more personal and positive resolution worth keeping.
Don’t just walk – walk for someone.
We naturally move toward a goal or to do a task. Most of the time we walk we aren’t even thinking about the walking. If you are making a resolution to exercise, incorporate a relationship somehow:
- Invite someone to walk with you and help each other stay committed.
- Walk to a park to meet with a friend or to sit and enjoy being outside.
- Walk and pray for someone who is sick or housebound.
There’s nothing wrong with taking stock of your expenditures and cutting back a little. But if you can afford to splurge on yourself sometimes, think of ways to be generous to other people. Instead of buying that fancy latte with all the cream and caramel, make coffee at home. Give the $3.00 you saved to someone else. This isn’t limited to tithing every Sunday. Be creative with your giving. Here are simple things you can do with those $3.00:
- Buy a greeting card and stamp. Send a note to someone you haven’t heard from in a while.
- Light several candles at your local parish and pray for those in need.
- Collect your daily $3.00 in a jar. After a few weeks use the money to purchase a gift card to the local supermarket. Donate that gift card to a local shelter.
It’s important to eat healthy and exercise, but that only helps bodily health. What about your mental, emotional and spiritual health? Your interior attitude and disposition play a major impact on your overall health. Work towards a more positive outlook with these ideas:
- List 10 things you are grateful for before you go to bed at night.
- List 3 things that you are glad you did today.
- Pray at least one prayer today in praise of God. No requests, no petitions, not even thanks. Just praise God for His greatness.
With these kinds of resolutions you will get the benefit of exercise and saving money while also building relationships, helping others and improving your emotional and spiritual health.